Cristo Rey Jesuit has some amazing Corporate Work-Student Partners. One of the strongest is our long-time partner Vinson & Elkins LLP.
Recently, the firm’s Talent Manager Julie Tran shared some perspective about our Corporate Work-Study Program with our Director. We received the firm’s permission to share her powerful words about the value of our student workers, and how they might benefit YOUR company.
Dear Cristo Rey Jesuit Corporate Work-Study Team,
V&E has been a proud support of Cristo Rey Jesuit since it opened its doors in Houston in 2009. We have worked closely with well over 25 students and have watched them grow to be confident, successful young leaders. It is amazing to see the students’ curiosity and excitement as they acquire the skills necessary to do well in a professional business environment. Students work on projects with real deadlines and are held accountable for their work product. They also get to experience firsthand that success in the business world is often a result of active communication and team work.
Cristo Rey Jesuit interns work across our administrative departments (HR, Records, Marketing, Financial Services, etc.) and see a variety of assignments. A few of their tasks include:
- Compile, sort, alphabetize, and file personnel reports, library books, client records
- Operate office machines, such as photocopiers, shredders, scanners, and personal computers
- Open, sort, time stamp, and route incoming mail
- Type, format, proofread, and edit documents
- Collect vendor invoices and process check requests
- Create nametags, tent cards, and sign-in sheets for events
- Enter personnel date in hiring systems, records systems, and financial services systems
- Maintain spreadsheets of data
- Create Power Point presentations for meetings
- Set-up and take down meetings
- Take inventory and stock supply rooms
- Pick up and deliver confidential files
- Assemble binders and packets
- Conduct research using online resources
- Create signage for internal meetings
- Design event invitations and collect RSVPs
- Stuff envelopes and wrap gift packages for large events
In my experience, it has been a pleasure getting to know the student interns in my department on a personal level. Our first Cristo Rey Jesuit intern is now in the Army, our second and third are both in college, and our current intern is an aspiring lawyer. We help inspire their confidence as they develop new technical skills like using email professionally and new soft skills like interacting with lawyers, clients, and professional staff. We’ve even hired one of our former Cristo Rey Jesuit interns for a full-time position on our staff team. I truly believe that the skills students gain and the relationships they form will set them up for a lifetime of success.
An added benefit of having Cristo Rey Jesuit interns is the opportunity for our junior staff members to develop their leadership skills. When working with our interns, our team members are learning how to delegate assignments, communicate effectively with each other, manage projects, and take ownership for results.
Further, it has been very easy to work with the administration team at Cristo Rey Jesuit. We get regular updates and visits from the school, and I know the appropriate people to reach out to with questions or concerns. Cristo Rey Jesuit frequently take our feedback and incorporates our comments into lesson planning. The Cristo Rey Jesuit team is committed to making sure our experience as an employer runs smoothly.
I feel strongly about the Cristo Rey Jesuit program and am happy to discuss my experience in greater detail with any future potential Cristo Rey Jesuit partners.
Note: Vinson & Elkins is a financial sponsor of Cristo Rey Jesuit College Preparatory School of Houston, and Cristo Rey Jesuit is not endorsing the firm or any of its attorneys.